Tuesday, October 01, 2013

A nti-psychology


« Bill gave the script to very few people. He felt that everyone who read it became a kind of director, pulling in a different direction. Actors were given their scenes on the day. His reasons were broadly Bressonian, but also, as he used a mixture of professionals and non-actors, this approach put them on an equal footing, resulting in a consistent style. I felt that secretly actors liked his way of working. Particularly as there were hardly any lines to learn on the day. 
I was present when Helena Gloag, who played Mrs Knox, confronted Bill. “Paul [Kermack, who played her son] tells me that in the film he has an affair with the lady next door. Why didn’t you tell me, when I did that scene outside?” Bill was unmoved. “How would it have helped you?” She considered this for a while and admitted, “It wouldn’t have.”»

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home